March 17, 2010

Mistakes, mistakes

My husband was gone for 2 days on business. This is unusual for him. He has had to travel for his job one other time in the almost 3 years that he has worked there.  I'm not used to it.  


Not at all. 


I though that since it was only two days I could handle it just fine. And I thought I would try to  make up for the fact that he was gone by doing something fun.  So we went Easter dress shopping. I have never taken my girls with me before.  I usually buy the dresses after Easter when they are on clearance and save them for the next year. But, after having my girls wear their Easter dresses ONCE last year, I thought I should let them choose in order to avoid that. 


HUGE mistake. 


My oldest got home from school and we headed out.  Everyone was happy.  We got to the store. I put the baby in the stroller, but Seth, the 2 year old refused.  We went in. The girls were in heaven, running up and down the aisles, grabbing dresses all over the place.  Once we had our arms full, we headed to the dressing rooms. Other than my 5 year old flashing a few fellow customers, we did well. The baby entertained himself in the mirror, the girls twirled in their dresses and Seth crawled under dressing room doors. 


This is the part where things start going downhill. . .


The baby started to fuss, so I gave him a sucker. 


The girls wanted to take one last look at the dresses, to make sure that we didn't miss any thing.


And Seth was getting more and more comfortable running halfway across the store and then back. 


First, the baby dropped his sucker on the floor. I pulled out a back up, but he dropped that about 2 minutes later. 


Meanwhile, the girls are somehow finding every hideous dress that they can and asking to go try it on. 


And I haven't seen the Seth in about 5 minutes. 


I was done.


I tracked Seth down and wrestled him into the stroller and strapped him down.  


And he screamed. 


The baby threw his sucker on the floor, again. 


And he screamed. 


Right about now, the smart thing to do would have been to drop the dresses and come back another day.  But, apparently, I'm not that bright. 


I saw the check out line and there were only 2 people in front of me.  I thought we could handle it.  It took at least 15 minutes for those 2 people to check out.  And there was one checker. ONE.  And a random guy wandering around the check stands watching the line grow, and grow and grow.  Which led me to the belief that the customer service at Burlington Coat Factory SUCKS.  Just so you know. Did you catch that Google alerts?  Burlington Coat Factory customer service SUCKS.  


So, these two people get checked out and we move up because it's our turn, right?  Apparently not. Out of nowhere this guy darts in front of us with a hat. I don't know if he was making an exchange or just inexcusably rude, but he proceeded to buy his hat while I sat there with my two screaming children in awe. Of all the people he could have jumped in front of, he had to choose the woman with four children, two of whom were screaming? Seriously?  


I believe that will be the last time that all four of my children will accompany me to a store.  Please?


Photobucket

15 comments:

Momza said...

LOL!
Seriously, LOL!
Been there, Done that!
Easter Shopping too! LOL
I call those "the good ol' days"...
but it's nearly the same deal when you take teenagers shopping.
They do the same thing--
whine about what they want,
run up and down the aisles, grabbing as many clothes as they can hold,
cry in the dressing room because "it" doesn't fit,
and disappear down the aisles so that I have to call them on their cells and say, "Where are you?"

p.s. I buy the kids' dresse clothes at Burlington Coat factory too...love those fancy, girly-girl dresses and boys' suits are great! Our store has really good Customer Service tho. Can't complain a bit.

Mandy said...

sorry! that doesn't sound like fun at all!!!! :( and as for that creep- what goes around comes around, I'm sure he'll end up with 5+ kids in a line and someone else will cut him off!

Rochelle said...

Ha ha! I'm sorry to laugh, but I totally know what you mean (except I'm one kid short). I can't believe you didn't yell at the dude who cut in front of you. I'm not the kind of person to keep quiet about these things.

Melissa Bastow said...

This is exactly why I NEVER leave my house. EVER. NEVER EVER.

Pearl said...

Oh man! I feel your pain! That is one reason why I don't take my kids to the store. Even on a good day and even when I feel like I can handle it...inevitably something happens and I end up getting screwed!
And I seriously can't believe the guy you cut in front of you! The nerve of some people!!

Kristina P. said...

You are a brave woman.

Pam said...

You know what is even more sad is one day you will forget, and have the thought, maybe this time will be better than last, but trust me, it will not be better so don't give into that little devil that sits on one of our shoulders trying to get us to do "fun, adventurous" things with the kids, and go out to the back yard and dig for worms instead. Take it from my experience

Liesl said...

I feel your pain. All of it minus one kid.

glitterbygrammie said...

Hey I am with you Momza.
I have had toddlers and teenagers and I think I oould rather take the toddlers.
But the one thing I do know, if you don't take them they will never learn how to behave in a store. They have to be taught how to act.
I would not of let the dude cut in front of me. There would of been a scene. Big Time

unattended99 said...

Been there too but I have to agree with "glitterbygrammie" and I wouldn't blame this on Burlington Coat. I have four kids, all within 6 years of each other and they would never have been alowed to do what yours did (or not to the extent anyway and if they did we would have left the store immediately.) My friendly advice would be to spend more time teaching your kids how to behave in a store (even the 2-year old can be taught) rather than getting mad at Burlington. Just my two cents worth. By the way, I didn't know they sold Easter dresses. Good to know. :-)

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

yeah, sister! i'm all about giving suckers to shut my little peeps up ... even at church. i just shrug at the people who stare at me.

Emmy said...

Why did the checker not say anything to that guy and make him go to the end??? So annoyed with that guy right now. And yes some things are best done without kids :)

Lourie said...

Oh no he didn't! No worries though, Karma will rear her ugly head on him.
Sorry it ended so miserably.

Morgan -Ing said...

I so feel for you! I have so so so been there.

Emma said...

Well I have to agree with you on letting the girls pick out their own dress. My 5 year old wont wear what she doesn't like, so I take her with me or, I will pick 2 or 3 outfits and bring them home and they can try them on at are own time and then they can chose one that I really like, then we are all happy!!!!

I believe that it can be so hard to take the kids with you, but very important so they can learn what is expected!!!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.