March 25, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

I decided on this one today, because now is the perfect time to get started:
Plant a garden

Especially if you love fresh veggies.  Like tomatoes.  And peppers.  And herbs.

I will use tomatoes as an example.  If you love tomatoes and you buy them once a week at the grocery store, they generally run about $2 a pound. So if you buy a pound a week for the months of July-September (and maybe into Oct. if you are lucky) you will spend about $30 in tomatoes.

However, if you buy a packet of 50 seeds for $1.50, and only 5 plants make it, your looking at at least 10 pounds of tomatoes right there.  Or a 6 pack of seedlings for about $4 will produce at least the same.

Right now is a great time to plant peas, lettuce, carrots, spinach and onions. All of which are kitchen staples at our house, not to mention easy to grow.  Right now is also a great time to start seedlings inside. We have tomatoes, basil, oregano, lavender, strawberries, peppers and marigolds popping up as we speak.  And once the weather gets warmer, I will plant the cucumbers, pumpkins, cilantro and dill outside.

If you have never gardened before, never fear.  Here are a couple of great links to check out:
Cornell Gardening Resources
Gardening Basics

And if you're looking for seeds check these out:
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

And these are awesome for your food storage:
Survival Seeds

If you don't have room for a backyard garden, plant a few basil and oregano seeds inside and have an indoor herb garden. If you cook, this will save you loads of money. A small handful of basil can run about $3 a package.  And fresh pesto is heaven, just in case you were wondering. But if you have two or three plants in your windowsill, for the price of that packet of seeds you can have fresh basil for months.

Mmmmm. This is making me excited for summer. Running outside when I need a green onion, or a handful of cilantro.  Fresh salsa.

Oh, summer with bare feet and warm nights, please hurry!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

I want a garden, I do. I just do not have a green thumb. And I'm afraid I may neglect the poor thing. But you have my mouth watering for fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and onion . . . Oh, and also for saving money ;)

Liesl said...

My sister has a giant garden, practically a farm, and cans like crazy!

I would love to have a garden. This is one of the few things I don't like about city living. But I do have the basil plant in summer and love it. Bruschetta, pesto, and all manner of yum.

Amateur Steph said...

Every time I think about planting a garden I have a baby instead. This year, my preschooler brought home cucumber and carrot seeds, so I'm determined to have something, at least. Thanks for the good links.

Erin said...

I really wish I had a yard where I had room to garden. But I love the little planter boxes too. How fun!

Lourie said...

What is the soil like where you live, cause the soil where I live is like rock! Literally. I don't know how to garden at all, but to help something survive here seems impossible. (It gets into the triple digits here)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.