March 18, 2010

The very first Thrifty Thursday!

I wrote a post last week about saving money, and I got  a lot of comments that convinced me that you would all like some of my tips on saving money. And I am nothing, if not accommodating. So, without further ado, I would like to introduce Thrifty Thursday.  Every Thursday I will try and talk about something that we do to save money. (At least until I run out of ideas.) 

So, this week: Cloth napkins.

A few years ago when we were getting ready to go back to school, I decided that a good way to save money would be to use cloth napkins and stop buying the paper ones.  The logic is this: for the 6 of us (there were 4 of us back then, but I’m going with current numbers) we go through about 20 napkins a day.  If you buy a package of 200 napkins for $3, that would last about 10 days.  It would cost about $110 a year to keep us in napkins. 

So, my sweet MIL let me raid her scrap drawer. I took her scraps, cut them into rectangles and serged around the edges and voile!  Napkins! For those who do not have access to a serger, gather your scraps of fabric and just hem them.  Or if you are particular about them all matching, go buy some cute fabric and cut it up. Most of my napkins are about 8”x6” and work great.

And for those who are not sewing inclined, head to your nearest dollar store. Usually they have cloth napkins in 2 packs, and sometimes you can even get cute ones.  I keep a small basket out of the way in our kitchen where we throw all the used napkins, and we have enough that I can usually only wash it once a week.    It works out great for us and saves us more money than you would think.  

Photobucket

12 comments:

MommyJ said...

This is a great idea... it seems so entirely practical... one of those things you realize and then go, "good grief, why didn't I think of that?" Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

What a great idea. I never thought of doing this, but with the cost effectiveness you presented I may have to convert. I am a napkin junkie

Rochelle said...

What a nice idea.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Sweet idea!
I wonder if it would keep my kids from using their sleeves....

Kristina P. said...

Good idea. Even if it puts a kink in my plan to destroy the earth.

Emmy said...

I might have to make the switch.. we always like to say we keep the paper towel industry in business in our house :)

Wonder Woman said...

So clever. And I love this meme or whatever you call the day alliterations. I look forward to more Thrifty Thursdays!

Lourie said...

I like this idea. Heck you could even use cloth diapers if you wanted. Up front the cost would be a bit more. I like this.

Pearl said...

First, that is a great idea. I, however, am not "sew" inclined (haha, did you notice the pun?). And Serene, good luck with getting your kids to use napkins instead of their sleeves! I've been training my oldest for 10 years now and his sleeves and or pants always end up being the napkin!

Three Peas In A Kitchen said...

What a wonderfully practical idea! It's almost a no-brainer, considering we do the same thing with dish towels. I'm glad you did the math on it too--it seems silly to spend that much money on dish towels.

I'm a fan of Thrifty Thursdays, Rachel Sue! I hope you keep them coming :)

--Amy from http://threepeasinakitchen.blogspot.com

Jo said...

You should give some away! just kidding!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I love this idea, but I'm afraid my husband would make fun of me...he also loves paper Plates. We are hand-washing right now (DW repair $ too high to handle) and insists that (cheap) paper plates are more cost-effective than washing. What do you think?

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.