April 22, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Love your local thrift store

I am addicted to DI (the local thrift store).  But I'm pretty sure that you already knew that.  This is a huge one for  us. I have been able to do so many things because I checked there before going to buy something full price.
For example: When we had our pictures taken last fall, (this isn't one of them, this is me fooling around with the camera, just the best shot of the jacket) I wanted a cute jean jacket and red shirt for Tayleigh. I hit the DI first. I found EXACTLY what I was looking for. I think they were 3 bucks a piece. The pictures turned out great, and Tayleigh hasn't worn the jacket since. But for $3, I am okay with that.











We stumbled upon roller blades one day while browsing.  $2 a pair.  And, as luck would have it, there were  roller blades available in sizes for both of my girls. We also splurged on knee and elbow pads.  (Totally necessary.  Have you ever seen a 5 year old roller blade?)
I think those were $0.50 a each.  And my girls were THRILLED to have them.  It was like Christmas for no reason.









Remember this? See that adorable white shelf?  It is exactly what I pictured right there.  I went to Target first, because this time, I knew what I wanted.  Target did not have what I wanted. I would have had to settle for the price of $40. I don't think so.

So, I headed over to DI.  And there it was: the perfect shelf.  It had been decorated, by what looked to be a two year old with a pen, but I just pulled out the handy magic eraser and voile!  Perfect little shelf for my perfect little bathroom. Did I mention it cost $2?







If you are a crafter at all, you must check DI first. I wanted to make a bulletin board for my girls to hang up their school papers in their room, and I found this huge one at DI for $2.  I just covered it with some leftover scrap fabric and some flowers from the Dollar store.





We all remember this, yes? This would not have been possible without the DI.















And finally the mirror that still doesn't have a home. $10.  And can you see that little oval mirror at the bottom? Also DI. $0.75.  I love them both.  I will let you know when I finally decide where to put them.

And this isn't to mention the HUNDREDS of books that we have purchased from DI over the years. Yes, the library is cheaper, but I have this weird thing for owning my books.  And when they are $0.75 each, well, I just can't help myself. (That's not to mention the fact that I am physically incapable of returning books on time and I am sure will soon be expelled from the Salt Lake County library system for the ridiculous amount of fines that have been sitting in my account for years now. Another reason not to go to the library. . .)



So, are you convinced?  Next time you get a chance, swing by. You might be surprised what you can find.
Photobucket

12 comments:

Rachelle said...

i love love LOVVEEE the DI. Planning a trip there today in fact. Love all your finds and pics of things!

Pearl said...

I love the D.I.!! But I'm not as crafty or creative as you are. Clothes are ok, but other objects, I just can't picture them as anything else...

Plus I love the fact that the D.I. gives jobs to those otherwise unemployable, or trying to learn new skills.

In summary, the D.I. ROCKS!

Emily said...

Yes, D.I. is the best. I bet half or more of Charlie's clothes are from D.I., but I only buy them if they are in really good condition, so you wouldn't even know it. And D.I. is a great place to get super cheap toys, too. Charlie thinks it's the greatest place in the world, because he usually gets at least one toy when we go there. And Dave loves to get board games.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Not sure if we have a DI here, but we have Goodwill and the like. And it sounds like I'm going to need to head there soon. I like a good deal!!! :)

Oh, and by the way I over-use exclamation points and use the word "yummy" from time to time. Can we still be friends? ;)

Kristina P. said...

You found some great things!

Charlotte said...

We only have Goodwill here and it is small. Hardly ever can find anything. I wish I had a larger option to hunt for deals.

Liesl said...

We have some great Thrift stores out here. My only problem is, when stuff is cheap, I tend to buy more than I need!

Pam said...

I love second hand stores. You got some great items. We have a thing called freecycle and I am addicted to it. I know they have one in Utah. It is through yahoo. freecycle.com try it out.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Nice! I haven't been to DI in forever because its on the other side of town. Maybe I should go check it out though!

Lourie said...

The nearest DI out here is about 30 or so miles. Not worth it in the long run...however...there is a Salvation Army not too far from here, and I have gotten some good deals from there. A very beautiful--likely a flower girl dress-- for my oldest two years ago when she wanted to be Glinda the Good Witch of the North. It was her size, and it was perfect. It was also $5. It was probably $100 originally.

Emmy said...

Yes I am convinced and so sad, I so miss DI. There are some thrift stores here but they are really out of the way. I think I just need to make the time and go!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I am the same way about library books. And I love thrift stores!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.