April 8, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Shop Off Season

I am the queen of the clearance rack. This is true.  Just ask my husband.  I head straight for it. Don't even glance at the rest of the store.  And my favorite time to shop is January, August and sometimes November. Why?  Because they are clearing out their inventory.

This is the best way to buy kids clothes. I can generally get most, if not all of their winter/school clothes for the next year.  My girls are getting a little tricker. For shirts I just bump up a size and it seems to work great. Pants, though, I have to make an educated guess.

Old Navy is my favorite. Generally, around the 2nd or 3rd week in January, Old Navy marks all of it's clearance an extra 50% off.  Which is when I go and stock up. Sometimes they do it a couple of times during the year, but it's not quite as easy to tack down.  If you sign up for their emails, however, you will occasionally get a notice that it's happening.

Every once in a while I can find some pretty great stuff at Target  and the Children's Place, and I love the clearance racks at the Gap and Old Navy outlets.

This is one of those instances that planning ahead really pays off. And honestly,  who wants to pay $30 for a shirt anyway?
Photobucket

12 comments:

just call me jo said...

You and my daughter would get along great. I, on the other hand, not so much. Just don't like "left overs." Sorry! But I do enjoy a good bargain once in a while if I don't have to slog through too many racks and stacks.

Emmy said...

Yes Clearance racks and end of the season sales are so awesome!

And I will hardly ever pay $30 for a shirt for me let alone the kids, that would just be insane

Emily said...

I do this, too! And the Children's Place website always (as in not only at the end of the season) has good clearance.

wendy said...

You are like my daughter ---she can find the most amazing stylish things off a clearance rack.
Not me...they just make me nervous cause I don't know how to sift through them
It is a great way to make your $$$ go alot further.

Wonder Woman said...

I really really heart the clearance rack!!

Wish I didn't have to, but I do.

Kristina P. said...

I might sound snobby, but I almost never shop the clearance rack. And honestly, it's because it's so overwhelming. I don't like to search through everything.

Micah-Noel said...

I agree-- you can find lots of great stuff by shopping at the end of the season. :)

Lourie said...

Mama always taught me: Clearance racks first, then sales, then the regular stuff. It just makes sense.

heather said...

I'm pretty good at the clearance racks too! I love getting good deals. And I've been told that Old Navy is the best place to pick up baby cloths, so I'm glad you think so too. As soon as we find out the gender of this baby -I'm shopping!!

livin wide said...

i am exactly the same!!

Sher said...

You are so good. I'm not as much of a bargain shopper as I used to be. I dont' know why, I guess I got lazy.
it's in my blood though, I remember my Grandma coming in and saying "look what I just got for a nickle at the thrift store!"

I do find myself bragging when I get complemented on something I'm wearing and I say, "yeah, it was only $1.50!"

Just SO said...

I wish I could do this...or remember to do this.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.