May 12, 2010

Why the internet rocks

I had a little epiphany the other day. And when I say little, I'm not exaggerating.  But before the big reveal, I ought to offer a little background info.

I enjoy cooking.  I don't know if I have said that. I really like trying new recipes and making something delicious. I think I am blessed for cooking to not be a chore.

That said, I am not by nature a cook.  I am superb at following a recipe. Not so great at making them up.  I am incapable of standing in front of the fridge and pulling things out that I think will go together and then making something out of it. That is not my talent.  So, as long as I have a recipe in front of me, I'm good.

The other night we had some family over. I was grilling fish and then I was going to make rice pilaf to go with it.  The rice is really simple to make, but it takes at least 30 minutes to cook. I forgot completely about the rice until the fish was almost done cooking. So, spur of the moment, I decided that we were having pasta. I boiled some water, threw in some angel hair and in 5 minutes, it was done.  Problem: plain pasta isn't so great.

Enter the internet: I pulled out the computer, looked up a recipe for an easy butter sauce and voile!  Dinner on the table to rave reviews.

My epiphany was this: I am so lucky to have the internet. It took me less than a minute to run the search and find a recipe to use. 30 years ago, I would have had to rely on my own creativity (not so good) or my recipe box (a huge mess).  Never would I have been able to pull off a great meal.

So really, you should thank the internet after eating a meal at my house.  Or, you know what. scratch that. You can actually thank me all you want.

I know. I'm humble like that.
Photobucket

15 comments:

just call me jo said...

You're so right! The internet is amazing! You can ask it anything! I go to it for recipes, sports questions, spelling dilemmas, etc. It's good you enjoy cooking. I have my moments...The only problem is if I cook too well then I eat too much.

Liesl said...

That's funny, I was just thinking about all the amazing things we can do because of the internet. I take so much for granted.

Lara said...

My husband does all of the cooking at our house, but I have the internet to thank for the awesome meals he makes.

Every night he's in the kitchen with his laptop, cooking up something wonderful!

Heidi Ashworth said...

You sound like a natural cook to me! And you're right, it's a blessing to enjoy cooking. I dislike it intensely.

Wonder Woman said...

Seriously. What would we do without the internet?

Kristina P. said...

It's so, so true.

Barbaloot said...

I love finding new recipes on the internet. I'm not so good at making them at this point...but I've got a whole bunch stored up:)

Wendy said...

I know I love looking up recipes on the internet. The only problem is, that if you happen to have a power outage... I hope you have a back up plan. And I guess that is where cold cereal and milk always come into play, right??

Pearl said...

I am always using the internet to look up recipes. Kraft foods has a great site where you type in what you have on hand, and it'll find recipes with those ingredients for you!

Sara said...

I think about the Internet often and think how different our lives would be. It is amazing.

Jo said...

Was it a browned butter sauce? That is so good!

Lourie said...

Now see how smart you are, not only did you find an alternative side dish, you found a way to make it great! Me...I would whined about the whole thing and eaten the ruined pilaf.

MommyJ said...

I'm totally with you on this one. I think the internet is the most useful thing ever. It's saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

I hardly use my cookbooks anymore. Now if I could just keep the food splatters off my precious. (My MacBook)

Have you tried tastykitchen.com?

Emmy said...

I don't know what I would do without the Internet it really does make everything so easy.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.