June 11, 2010

Book Review: Leaning into the Curves

I have no real love of motorcycles. My husband is forever talking about someday purchasing a dirt bike and making it street legal.  This isn't part of my plans, even a little bit.  The thought of him riding one around town, especially on the freeway scares me to no end.

So, when I was reading Leaning Into The Curves, by Nancy Anderson and Caroll Hofeling Morris, I could totally relate to the main character, Molly, when her newly retired husband comes home with a motorcycle.    My dislike, however, pales in comparison to Molly's fear.

After witnessing a motorcycle accident, Molly's fear becomes almost irrational, and one of the main issues in the book is Molly's ability to overcome that fear.

I enjoyed Leaning into the Curves.  There were a few moments when I had a little difficulty relating with the characters, mostly because I am not a middle aged retiree.  But, despite that, the book read smoothly and it was really interesting to learn a little bit more about a LDS motorcycle group called the Temple Riders Association. This is a real group of LDS motorcycle enthusiasts who take road trips on their motorcycles to various temples around the country.

This book isn't simply about motorcycle riding, however.  There is also some nice commentary on the complexity and depth of a long time relationship.  There is also a nice theme interwoven that people really can change.  Overall, if you are looking for a nice read, this is one you might want to try out.

Photobucket

4 comments:

amy said...

this looks very intriguing. my husband went on a ride down to Lake Powell. I was scared the whole time. I think I'll have to read this book to see how others have dealt with that fear.

Carroll said...

Thanks for the nice review. I had to chuckle when you mentioned not relating to the retirement issues--they'll be right in front of you quicker than you know!

FYI, Nancy and I are going to attend the Temple Riders Rally in Boise starting Friday. Check our blog to see what we're up to. http://crustyoldbroads.blogspot.com

Lourie said...

My husband wants a bike too. What is that?

wendy said...

I am not a fan of motorcyles. My son's leg was broke on a dirt bike ride.
My second husbands aunt had her leg amputated due to a motorcycle accident.
YIKES
so I am a little paranoid

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.