June 2, 2010

Is it lying?

Generally, I tend to avoid Walmart. But I recently found myself walking through the scuffed, florescent aisles in search of Junie B. Jones the Second.

For those of you who are confused, Junie B. Jones is my daughter's fish.  WAS my daughter's fish. I noticed him, (yes, him.  The gender didn't sway her opinion on the name.) floating at the top of the water that hadn't been changed, in, oh, maybe a little bit longer than was healthy.  Luckily, the water was murky and the girls were about to head off to bed and didn't notice.

My husband's vote was to tell the the truth. Their first pet was dead.  And then let them deal with it. A part of me agreed.  But the part of me that was preparing for an insanely busy week couldn't stomach the thought of two little girls mourning the loss on top of everything else.

So, off to Walmart I went.  I peered in the plastic cups of Beta fish, looking for a match.  The closest one I found had the same color of body, but instead of a red tail it has a turquoise one. As I walked to the check out I thought of all the different explanations I could give to the question: Why did his fin change color?

*Well, sometimes that happens.

*Maybe when fish get older they change color.

*Maybe his food is making him change color.

The next morning I found my daughter peering into the the fish bowl curiously.  I steeled myself for the inevitable.

"Mom!  Guess what?  My fish changed color! Isn't that cool!"

I love the way a seven year old brain works.

16 comments:

MommyJ said...

My son's first pet was a hamster... a hamster that lived FOREVER. When the poor thing finally died, my then four year old found him with one stiff little leg sticking into the air. Hard to do a switch on that one! He handled it okay though... we had a nice little hamster funeral, shed a few tears, and then all was well. I think what helped is we had been watching the poor little thing drag itself around it's cage for weeks... we knew death was coming, and talked about it before hand.

I'm glad your girls were accepting of their new fish! Hope this one lasts a while.

Lara said...

I was more upset when our fish died than my kids were.

I do love that she is using 7-year old logic, though. That's better than adult logic any day in a case like this one!

Pearl said...

How awesome that she didn't notice, and that she thought something cool had happened.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Whew! That was a close one ;) The girls lost their fish last Summer, and it was rough. Luckily that prepared them for losing one of our chickens this Spring, and our beloved dog shortly after.

SpencernAmy said...

Love it!

just call me jo said...

I say lies are OK for any child under 10 and any pet that can be replaced without major upset. I'm all about lies that make the world a happier place.

Rochelle said...

I would have handled it the same way.

Sher said...

This is why we don't have pets. Ok, it's not really, I'm too lazy to a)bother to get one, and b)clean up after one.

But, I think you handled it well.

Living the Scream said...

so funny I love the fish's name My 6 year old LOVES those books

Jackie said...

Oh good! PHEW!

Lourie said...

HAhahaha! I think you got off lucky. haha. We have been through many fish. The oldest wants a cat. Not me.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Well, it IS cool that she has a different colored fish now!

Melissa Bastow said...

That's not even close to lying, sort of, plus it's pretty awesome...as long as she's not waiting for the fish to morph into a kitten or something.

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

We have had so many fish die in our house, Savannah thinks that they go in the toilet! LOL.

Jo said...

How can you tell if your fish was a boy!?!

Charlotte said...

Nice. Congrats on finding such a close match! I'm glad your kids didn't notice, although just wait until she shows up at school and tells everyone fish can change color.

I'm all about creative truth telling myself. I may lead them to believe it is the same fish without ever actually saying the lie...

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.