June 3, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Beauty School

This week's Thrifty Thursday is thanks to Wonderwoman.  She sent me a tip, and I ran with it!

Get your hair cut at the local beauty school.  I used to do this all the time when we lived in Rexburg. And not just haircuts.  Color, scalp treatment, mani, pedi, everything.  In all honesty, the best pedicures I have ever gotten were at the beauty school in Rexburg.  I would go and get a scalp massage, color and haircut all for less than $40.  (Those were the days. . . )

Wonderwoman recommends the Paul Mitchell School in Provo.  Haircuts are $8 by a mid-level student, and $12 for an advanced student. Each haircut is double checked by one of the supervisors. And these students are taught to be worth much more than that.

So, do a little research and find your local beauty school and treat yourself to a scalp treatment and haircut for less than $20.
Photobucket

*image from here.

12 comments:

Jackie said...

They do the best eyebrow wax too!

just call me jo said...

I've heard of those. A little scared to get hair done, but I could do the wax thing. How much can you screw that up?

Pearl said...

The Marinello school in Layton is pretty good too. I agree, I've gotten the best pedi's when I go there.

What a great tip!

Kristina P. said...

I will never again have a student color my hair. I have had two horrible experiences.

But, pedicures and waxing and things are great there. I am all for something they can't mess up too badly. :)

Sher said...

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree on this one. I had a horriblay experience at a beauty school once with color. And a perm (no judging, it was a long time ago).

Maybe a cut would be ok.

(And honestly, I didn't steal Kristina's comment, this really is what I was going to say before I read the comments!)

Carolyn said...

I haven't had a haircut in a year...you think it's time?

I need to go google a local beauty school.

Lourie said...

I wouldn't mind a mani/pedi. Ahh to be pampered.

Melissa Bastow said...

I'm not much of a girl because I've never had a manicure or a pedicure or anything waxed. And before I got my hair done a few weeks ago it had been like 3 years since I even had a trim......which is embarrassing. And sad. And I was actually going to go to the Paul Mitchell school here, but the girl on the phone sounded really scared.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Thanks! That is a great alternative to my $85 cut and color, besides going without the haircut and using color from a box!

Loralee and the gang... said...

...and , what's the worst thing that can happen with an eyebrow wax? No Eyebrows, that's what! haha
plucking and/or electraylisis (sp?) is the only way to go for me.

Jo said...

Did you know you have a beauty school right across the street from your house? It is in the shopko parking lot, in a strip mall off to the side. You can get a hair cut for $6.50 there if you have a coupon you can get in the west jordan journal! I use to go there all the time.

Jo said...

To all who are scared to have their hair colored, Camio is pretty good. it is off of state street in salt lake and I haven't had a bad color experience there. I don't think they let them get a hold of the die until they have had some experience. You need to schedule a lot of time though because it took like 5 hours! both times I went!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.