July 26, 2010

Stream of Conscious

I find when I read a book,  my thoughts start to sound like dialogue. For example, I just finished reading The Help (good book, by the way) and while I was reading it my thoughts had a bit of a southern accent. Then I started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and my thoughts tend to run on sentences, hence this post.  I find that it happens when I watch movies too. After I finish watching Pride and Prejudice I notice myself using words like 'thither,' 'mischiefs,' 'felicity.'

And it's not just my thoughts either. These things tend to work themselves into my dreams.  I have been dreaming of Clark Kent (albeit without complaint), black maids and spies (we've been watching Burn Notice lately as well.)  And sometimes, it works it's way into my life.  Like the week I read the last Harry Potter 3 times (yes, the week it came out. I had a newborn and spent LOTS of time nursing and reading) every time I left the house I was looking over my shoulder, just a little bit nervous. It took me a couple of days to figure out why: I was worried Voldemort was going to show up at any second.  The highlight of that week was the day I was looking for my keys, the whole time thinking to myself, "I know that there is an easier way."  But for the life of me, I just couldn't quite remember what it was.  And then I realized.  I was trying to remember the summoning spell for my keys.

Apparently, I dive a little too deeply.
Photobucket

12 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

When I was reading Twilight, I got a paper cut. My first thought was, "They're gonna smell it!" so I sucked on my finger really quickly. Then I thought, "Blood tastes the way Bella said it smells."

So, um, yeah. I get it.

p.s. just posted a Jane Austen thing you'll be amused by.

Lara said...

I totally do this. And even when I'm between books, I tend to narrate my life in my head as if I were reading it.

Weird.

Emily said...

When I have just watched a movie, suddenly my brain thinks that my face looks like the main female character's face. Does that make any sense? Like, if I have just been watching a movie with Jennifer Aniston (as an example), in my mind, I look like her, for about an hour until it wears off.

Barbaloot said...

I don't really do that when I read books---maybe cuz I read several every month and I would go insane:)

But after reading the Hunger Games I definitely had dreams about it.

Lourie said...

Oh you are so not alone! It's been a while since I have read a book HP or otherwise! But yeah, I get you.

Living the Scream said...

I love that books can be so powerful! A little break from the every day mundane! I also liked your post on MMB :)

Emmy said...

Lol! It really is nice to be ale to get lost in things like that.

Liesl said...

I have to be careful of what I read before I write and it's best if I keep the two activities separate. If the voice of what I'm reading is really strong I catch it seeping into my own work.

Mom and Dad said...

I SO agree. I/we are very much influenced by our reading material. By the way, I enjoyed "The Help" as well.

Momza said...

I've been away too long!
Have been catching up with you thru your posts and realized I missed you much!
Okay, back to catching up...

Loralee and the gang... said...

When I meet new people, I have the ablility...or curse, to ever-so- slightly, so it doesn't come across as mocking (I hope!) to start to use the same speeces patterns as they do. This only seems to happen when I first meet someone. I don't know why - maybe subconciously I think it makes them feel more comfortable? And I totally narrate my life in my head, too. It is helpful though, because it has produced a few blog posts!

Loralee and the gang... said...

uh, 'speech' patterns. I know. Proofread!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.