August 16, 2010

Raised in a Barn

If I didn't raise them myself, I would be convinced.  My children NEVER shut a door.  Unless an unhappy grownup, who is tired of asking, is yelling at them AGAIN.

The result of this little bad habit is eleventy hundred flies taking up residence, mainly in my kitchen.  I hate flies. I'm not totally sure why.  It's not that I'm scared of them, they just really gross me out. And this is the only reason ever that I even consider having the tiniest bit of mercy on the spiders that live in my house.

I even had a truce with a spider in my kitchen window once, for about 3 weeks.  It lived there killing flies left and right, and I never saw it.  It slept during the day, came out at night and I cleaned the flies out every couple of days.  It was a great little system until the not so very menacing blonde spider moved out and a large and hairy fellow moved in.  I make some concessions. Just not for him.

7 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

I'm glad to know my kids aren't the only ones! Every night my husband goes on a fly killing spree which ends with a million fly carcasses on the kitchen floor. Disgusting. And it could all be avoided if they learned to close the darn door!

SpencernAmy said...

I am so there with you! I just installed spring hinges on one of my doors for the very same reason. You could probably install those same hinges on a screen door if you have one. The cool thing is that you can adjust how tight the hinges spring back so little fingers don't get smashed but the door still closes. Now, I just need to figure out how to put one on a sliding door . . . .

Kristina P. said...

I think it's time to get rid of the kids.

Mom and Dad said...

Did you know that flies SPIT on their food to soften it for eating? GROSS for sure. I have even taken the stance of not eating something if I know it's been touched by flies.

Lourie said...

My kids don't flush the toilet! Well my oldest is finally getting better. It's so annoying!

ANd yeah, flies are disgusting. They land on poo and eat trash. They (forgive me) puke up acid in order to eat. It's gross.

Linds said...

Ewww! I didn't know that flies spit/puke before ingesting their food. Something I'm not sure I wanted to know.

Liesl said...

Three words: Electric Fly Swatter

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Amazing-Bug-Zapper/dp/B00008GS96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282305246&sr=8-2

I'm sure you'd rather they just didn't come in the first place, but seriously, these things are awesome! There's a certain satisfaction when you zap the little buggers.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.