September 9, 2010

Want a tour?

It is finished.

Okay. Pretty much.

As much as it's going to get this year.

I swear I took before pictures, but this is all I could find.



It's kind of embarrassing
It would be worse if there were more. 
(seriously. I swear I took some.)

  And the after: 
(drumroll please)


This is the first thing you see.  Hanging on my door is a book page wreath. A dictionary to be exact.  Particularly appropriate: I have a special place in my heart for dictionaries.
It makes my heart happy. 

This is where the majority of the change lies.  The headboard is beadboard and molding.  Isn't it great?  We have never had a headboard and it just makes me feel so grown up!
Let me just throw out a few details. (ie. brag because I think I'm so cheap.) The bedskirt was a twin duvet from IKEA in the as is bin  for $5. The curtains are drop cloths from home depot. The table was used and on  KSL. The lamp on the left is from DI. The turquoise tray on the table was $1 at a yard sale. 
I love it. 


I made all of these throws from tutorials I found on craft blogs.  If it wasn't so late I would go find those sites and link them. Okay. Feeling guilty. Maybe I'll do a linky love post to make up for it. . .
You can't tell but that white poof is actually a flower made of tulle. It looks much cooler in real life. 


Did you know that it's really hard to take good pictures of mirrors? And that my mirrors really need a better cleaning?  Well, you do now. 

I'm pretty proud of this one. I came up with it all by myself.  We get lots of homemade gifts from two very creative daughters.  But what to do with them? Especially the particularly oddly shaped ones? 
I had a couple of old frames, painted them red, took out the glass and the back and hung them on the wall. Then I took a clip and hung it on the inside of the frame. TA-DA! Immediate interchangeable display!

The framed mirror was $10 at DI. I did have to paint it, but I just thought I would throw that in there. I have grand plans to frame that other mirror. I just have to figure out how to work a mitre saw. . .


This, this is my piece de resistance.  We have had this cheap, fiber board $30 bookshelf for about 9 years now. It has been everywhere. It is hashed, and wasn't that great to start with. But now I love it.  Want to hear my secret? Wrapping paper and Modpodge. I love Modpoge.  
( I just feel the need to clarify.  The top 2 shelves are my husbands and the bottom 3 are mine. We don't overlap much. And yes. Harry Potter does have a shelf all to itself.)

Well. There it is. My birthday present.  And I love it.  

Photobucket

17 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I'm so impressed---with your ability to decorate and to do it cheaply!

And I love the bookshelf:)

Aubrey said...

That looks so great! I love the bright colors and especially love the bookcase background! Good job!

Kristina P. said...

Your bedroom is so retro and adorable!!

And I love that wreath.

SpencernAmy said...

I love it, Rachel! Well done. I may have to steal some of your ideas . . . . Already scheming . . . .

Mandy said...

my complements to the designer!!! I need run by DI and see if there are any interesting/charming pieces I can incorporate in Ellie's room

Emmy said...

Awesome fabulous job! The shelf is great. And the frames for your kids crafts is such a cute idea!

Liesl said...

Love it! I especially love the mirrors. I just love little eclectic details like that.

And of course Harry Potter gets his own shelf! Anything less is disrespect!

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Ooooh, love your new bedroom!!! Yay for good {stylish} deals!

Wendy said...

That turned out amazing Rachel!! Nice job. The bookcase looks especially cool.

Mother Goose said...

I made a book page wreath too! Stargirl and Breaking Dawn
Everything looks great!

Melissa Bastow said...

I'm totally copying your modpodge bookshelf. Your room looks fab. My room is pretty pathetic, but it's kind of ok since I hate making my bed in the morning, so I just don't, since it's not that great looking anyway.

Lara said...

Love it!

I especially love your book wreath and the empty display frames. I'm stealing the frames/clip idea for my office for sure.

myimaginaryblog said...

That looks great! I will feel like a grown-up, too, if I ever get my home decorated.

Ha, my word verification is "spite."

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

I'm so jealous of your beautiful headboard. We still dont have one either and every year I tell hubby I'd like one for Christmas. I love love love how you did yours.
Your whole room looks fantastic!! So many wonderful ideas. How long did the whole thing take you?

Lourie said...

I love the page book wreath and the frame idea! You did a wonderful job and really did "decorate on a dime.' Way to go!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I love your stuff! I need to spruce things up around my house now -

Michaela Noelle said...

Love the bedroom make over! The bookshelf is adorable with the print behind the shelves (:
Stopping by from Someday Crafts link up!
~Michaela

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.