October 6, 2010

Going Homemade

That's been my goal this year.  Get rid of a few more processed things.  And start eating things that I know exactly what are in them. As the year has gone on I have gotten better and better.  Especially the last few weeks as the frost has started to threaten and things have to get put up as quickly as possible. I opened my freezer tonight and was gratified to realize that the majority of food in there was either fruit or something I had made.

(I'm going to confess right here, that sitting on top of all of that was a monster sized bag of chicken nuggets.  Hey.  No one is perfect!)

I just thought I would share a couple of my favorite recipes for any one who was feeling like I was when I read a label in didn't recognize half of the ingredients.

Homemade Chicken Broth

I love this one because it makes me feel like I'm not wasting anything.  After I cook a whole chicken, or after we finish off a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club I use the bones and skin to make the broth.

Leftover chicken bones and skin
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
1 cup of chopped carrots (I just throw in a couple handfuls of baby carrots. I'm lazy like that.)
2 bay leaves
3 cloves chopped garlic (or dried minced garlic for lazy girls like me)\
1 tsp salt
Spices and herbs of your choice
(I use some sage, a little dill, Italian seasoning, some celery seed)
12 cups of water

In a LARGE pot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Strain the broth into a bowl.  I separate mine in to 2 cup servings and freeze.  When I need it, I just throw it into the microwave.  Since it doesn't have all the preservatives, it isn't as salty so when you use it in a recipe, it will probably need just a little extra salt.

Homemade Pesto

This is perfect if you have basil in your garden.  I love fresh pesto.  It is the perfect thing on a summer


3  cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 c. sunflower seeds or toasted pine nuts
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2-1/2 c. lightly packed basil leaves, washed and dried
3/4 c. olive oil
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)

  1. Pulse garlic in a food processor until minced. Add seeds and cheese, pulse a few times to chop, and then add the basil and continue to process until all is finely chopped.
  2. With the machine running, add the oil in a fine stream. Process until pesto is smooth. Add salt to taste (less will be needed if using salted sunflower seeds).
  3. To store in the freezer, pour about 1/2 cup into containers, add a shallow layer of olive oil, label with date and freeze.
Makes about 1-1/4 cups.


Photobucket

6 comments:

Dede said...

YUM!

Barbaloot said...

There is nothing better than homemade chicken broth. Now I'm craving that...

SpencernAmy said...

MMmmm . . . thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try BOTH of those.

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

This post is right down my alley, girl!

Melissa Bastow said...

I think even perfect people have monster bags of frozen chicken nuggets. Unless they've switched to chicken fingers, that is.

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

What a great idea to do more homemade. I'm impressed. You're superwoman.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.