October 5, 2010

White Rain

I found a box when I was cleaning out the cabinets.  A pink box with a round lid.  I had forgotten I had it.   I opened the lid and a rush of memories flooded over me as the scent hit my nose.

Days spent at Grandma's in dress up clothes, putting on our "makeup."

Sneaking off the the bathroom, the one room in the house with a lock, to paint my fingernails with the forbidden bright pink nail polish.

Taking that soft puff out of the box just to feel it on my face.

Snuggling up into my Grandma's lap and smelling the musky white rain on her neck.

I am so grateful for the decision that I made the day we cleaned out Grandma's house to take that box.  It had been a hard day, loading those memories into the DI truck or the dumpster, deciding who got to keep which ones.  It was kind of an after thought, that little pink box.  But for that moment, sitting on my bathroom floor, feeling warm and safe like I had growing up being loved by my Grandma, it was more than worth it.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

what a sweet post. i got a quilt my grandma made when she passed away. it is one of my most loved belongings. i don't think it would have mattered if it was a pillow case or whatever - anything to touch and be close to her means the world. sending lots of hugs your way.

Loralee and the gang... said...

I love how certain smells can take you back in time - whoosh - and you are right THere again.

Barbaloot said...

I remember that smell! And the puff. Now I want to go see if there's any still floating around my parents' house cuz I want to smell it again.

Erin said...

Awww, how sweet!

InkMom said...

The dresser in the big boys' room belonged to my grandmother, and still, 12 years after her death, I can catch a whiff of her scent when I pull something from the bottom of a drawer. It never fails to make me smile.

Just SO said...

Isn't it amazing how the sense of smell triggers so many wonderful memories. I'm glad you have that pink box and the smell of white rain.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.