January 20, 2011

Everyone should read:


I just finished a book that I think everyone  should read.  Stones into Schools is the follow up to the better known, Three Cups of Tea.  Both follow the story of Greg Mortenson,  a humanitarian who has built over 100 schools in some of the most destitute areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan.  His story, right from the beginning is amazing.

While his work is truly inspiring, the reason everyone should read his books, is gain a better insight into such a different culture.  He offers explanations of different traditions and gives some vivid description of living conditions in some of these areas.   Suffice it to say, I'm not feeling quite so crowded in my house right about now.  Anyway, after reading it, things that I didn't quite understand about what has happened over the past decade or so, have come more into the light.

So, on your next trip to the library or bookstore, be sure to look it up. It is worth every minute of your time.

PS.  Wasn't asked to say this by anyone. I just think it is amazing and everyone should read it. 
Photobucket

4 comments:

SpencernAmy said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't know there was a sequel and I loved "3 Cups of Tea." I love a book that makes me feel educated as well as entertained.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I just finished a novel that covered the past sixty or so years in Afghanistan and it was both eye-opening and heart breaking. It's from the author of Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini. I think it's really important that we have a better understanding of the history and culture of a people who have suffered more than their fair share of war.

Melissa Bastow said...

Generally I don't read anything uplifting (aside from scriptures, of course). I have this rule that if it's not pointless and/or immature I won't allow myself to read a word of it. It's this whole "For an Unimproved Melissa" agenda I have going. So even though those books sound fabulous, I'm sorry, I just can't read them.

Stephanie said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I'd like to read both books.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.