January 27, 2011

Feminism: My take on things

So, I've been thinking about it a lot recently.  It first invaded my head after reading CJane's definition of it an then again when I finally got around to reading the salon.com article. You know the one.  The article mentions that some experts are starting to believe that feminism failed because of a recent trend of young mother's renewed interest in old fashioned skills like gardening and canning and sewing and crocheting.  But you know what? I disagree. I don't think that it means that feminism has failed.  On the contrary, I think it has succeeded to a degree that these experts just may not realize.

I think most people associate feminism with the opportunity to climb to the top of the corporate ladder.  And while I don't disagree that is part of it, I think it close minded to assume that is all it encompasses.  What I mean is, that you can tell a bright, young girl realistically that she is capable of achieving the desires of her heart.  Whatever they may be.  For some, that is indeed to become a CEO in Fortune 500 company,  but for others, it may just be to open a cupcake bakery in her hometown.  It may be to write a novel, to create a magazine, to home school her children, to become an opera singer, to revel in her love of cooking, to be a photographer, to serve her community.

The success of feminism isn't just the wealth of opportunities, it is the wealth of choices.  And isn't that what feminism is all about?  The ability to choose what you wanted to do with your own life. Whatever that choice may be.

14 comments:

Camryn said...

Very convincing argument. I find myself agreeing with you. We definately live in a time where we have a plethora of opportunities that women have never had before.

Kristina P. said...

I totally agree. Feminism isn't about bra burning, etc. It's about supporting women in their choices to do whatever they want to do. To be a firefighter or a SAHM.

Emmy said...

This is awesome!! And I totally 100% agree. Yes, if we as women feel we can do whatever we want no matter what it may be-then that is success! And thanks for the link back to me, so kind of you :)

Heidi said...

Hey--thanks for the linky love. I just want to add that I am also in the process of opening a re-sale boutique, so, yeah . . .

Liesl said...

Amen. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Toesthattwinkle! said...

I found you on the blog hop and now Im following you! Please check out my blog and follow me, http://toesthattwinkle.blogspot.com/ I also wanted to say how much I love your blog and reading the posts!

Mother Goose said...

Wish there was a LIKE button.

Barbaloot said...

That's what it was before it becamse a way to say women are better/more powerful/deserve more just cuz they're women. I miss the old definition.

Lourie said...

From the time I was very young, I have always been drawn to women of power. From Samantha Stephens, to Captain Janeway. When I took a course in American History I learned so much about real women who were strong and amazing. And now I read your post, and I see just how strong and amazing women can be!!! What a great post.

Omgirl said...

I couldn't agree more! Feminism doesn't mean I CAN'T be a mother or a teacher or a baker or a seamstress or feminism has failed, just because those are traditional occupations. it means I have the OPTION to become a doctor, or a lawyer, or a politician, or a CEO...IF I WANT TO. And if I want to stay home and raise my kids, I should be able to do so while also earning the respect of my fellow sisters. Because only someone who has never tried it would ever think being a SAHM is less of an amazing achievment than anything you can do in the corporate world.

Morgan -Ing said...

People always stare when my husband says he's a feminist. But he is, and so am I. You won't find a man more committed to making sure that his WIFE gets to do what SHE feels she want to or needs to. He believes all women should have that right.

allenaim photography and design said...

I so SOOOOO agree with this...

I am all for women and our rights to do whatever we choose to do, but I am so thankful that the dreams of becoming a literal professional at home design, gardening, cooking and photography at home is emulated...

THANKS for the post!

Shasta said...

Hey I found you via the Blizzard Blog Hop! :)

Anyway, I saw this post and felt I had to comment! I completely agree with you! If anything, I think it's proof that feminism was a success, because we have the choice to make now if we want to become a rocket scientist or a stay at home mom.

I've worked plenty of jobs where I was the only woman, and getting married and having a daughter, I decided I wanted to stay home with her. I don't feel I'm a "sell-out" for giving up on my career. It was me doing what I wanted to do. And I'm loving every minute of it. :) In fact, because of it, I'm doing what I always dreamed of! Running my own photography business! haha

tawna6988 said...

Blog hopping today and am your newest follower. I hope that 1 of my blogs interests you too.

http://tawnasplan.blogspot.com
http://btrbb.blogspot.com
http://tawnassecret.blogspot.com

I also do a weekend blog hop, you can link up on http://tawnasplan.blogspot.com open every Friday-Sunday!
Thanks
Tawna

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.