February 17, 2011

Stupid Homework

I am starting to really get frustrated with the amount of homework my kids have to do.  It is really starting to get ridiculous. My oldest is in 2nd grade.  Every night, after she comes home from a full day of sitting at her desk, reading, writing and thinking, she is expected to practice her spelling words, write dictation sentence, finish her home reading and finish up any math that she didn't get done at school.

Shall I be more specific?
Practice spelling: over the course of the week she is supposed to sort her words into like 3 different groupings and then write them all, make sentences out of all of them and alphabatize them.

Write dictation sentences: I read four sentences and she writes them until they are perfect.

Home reading:  Every night she brings home a book anywhere from 25 to 80 pages long and is expected to finish it.  (Can you say squashing a love for reading right out of the gate?) Then I am supposed to ask her 3 comprehension questions about the book.

Are you seeing the problem?  If I made her sit down as soon as she got home from school to do it all, she would finish around bedtime.  It is simply ridiculous.  Aren't they supposed to play occasionally?  Or, heaven forbid, do chores around the house?

It's a good thing I have a smart kid.  Because I don't make her do half of it, and she still does fine in school.

10 comments:

Omgirl said...

wow, that seems extreme! Even when i taught at a private school, the elementary school kids were not allowed to have more than an hour of homework.

Barbaloot said...

Yikes! I bet a lot of parents are making their kids do half of it...but not all of them for the same reason as you. Can't imagine what the higher grades are going to start requiring.

Melinda said...

When we lived in Utah, the homework was a lot worse than it is here. I still have a really hard time with homework especially for younger elementary kids. I agree, don't they get time to relax, play, get other things done?! My daughter goes to bed at 7:30, she gets home after 3:30, thats really not a lot of time! Boo for homework. Its dumb. :)

Heidi said...

My husband having been a teacher, I think that they feel a lot of pressure to make sure the kids learn the material. Yet, my husband assigned very little homework as a rule. His kids did well b/c he spent his time teaching them. I think some teachers have a chip on their shoulder due to helicopter parents. They're the ones who put lots of pressure on the teachers to make sure their kids get A's. Some of those teachers might take the approach of putting some of the burden of that back on the parents. It's not a good situation, either way. Truly excellent teachers don't litter the ground and none of them are really paid enough for the work they have to do. But, yes, what your second grader has to do is excessive. I especially hate it when I get homework from my child's teacher like some of the things you mentioned. Please.

Melissa Bastow said...

Man, I'm glad my kids don't have that much homework. I feel like I hardly ever see my 2nd grader anyway, I can't imagine if I didn't get to use her time at home to do something like force her to clean her room...I mean, play games and do each other's hair.

Rochelle Brunson said...

That does sound crazy. I hate the amount of homework my kindergartener gets, but it is no where near that amount!

Erin said...

Wow. My second grader gets six pages of homework on Monday, due Thursday. If he sits down and does it all at once, it takes about 25 minutes. Then on Fridays he has a spelling test. I go over them verbally with him once a night, and by Friday he gets 100% every time.

Your daughter's homework situation does sound pretty ridiculous. Ugh. Good luck - maybe you can make some changes.

alison said...

my daughter's in kindergarten and she has a worksheet to complete three days a week, a library book to read and be quizzed on each week, and various projects at least once a month. i thought kindergarten was supposed to be all about eating glue and coloring by number???? ;)

wendy said...

that certainly sounds over the top. I wonder....is it because the classrooms are so big that teachers can't even get to the kids to TEACH them, so they send them home with the work they should have done in class/
Just thinking out loud????

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

UGH! The homework situation seriously infuriates me. One {of the many} reason{s} I am so happy that we are homeschooling right now. We originally enrolled Sierra in Kindergarten at our local public school, and I was appalled at the amount of homework for a child barely 5 years old. I mean, really, when I a kid supposed to just be a kid??

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.