March 3, 2011

It's Official:

I am a dork.

Or a geek.  A nerd if you will.

Many of you probably already knew this. Mostly the people that I know in real life.  Because you can really see the dorkiness shine through in person.

For those who don't believe me, let me explain.  The other day  I found myself explaining to my husband something that probably 5 other people in the world noticed. (All English majors.)  We were watching TV and a commercial for that new '80's movie came on.  You know, the one set right smack in the middle of the Madonna lace dress, rolled up sport coat era.  And on the commercial the main actor uses a phrase- one that was not used in that particular function at any time during the '80's.  (For the rest of you English majors out there, it was an anachronism.  And not a deliberate one.)

And it bugs me. That the screenwriters did not take the changes in  slang over the past 20 years into account.

And that is why I am a dork.

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You are too funny.

Melinda said...

No that kind of stuff bugs me too, we went to see "The Eagle" the other night and right at the beginning it said something like:

20 years later
Roman controlled the North.

Roman controlled the North?! It should either be ROME controlled the North, or Roman soldiers controlled the North, or SOMETHING right? It bugged me the whole rest of the movie.

Maybe I'm a dork too. Scratch that--I totally am.

Melanie Jacobson said...

You're not a dork. You're a right-thinking human being.

Of course, this is coming from an English major.

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

I love dorks! =)

Liesl said...

I read a book that generally was very good, but it was set in the early 80's and the characters were participating in online therapy groups and browsing the internet like we do today. I was pretty annoyed that no one caught that anachronism and lots of other people were too.

just call me jo said...

I'm old, an English major, a dork, a nerd and unable to remember exactly what I said ten minutes ago, so it often doesn't bother me to hear anachronisms. I still use 80's slang expressions and think I'm really hip. ;o) See, I told you I was an ol'dork!

alison said...

that sort of thing drives me BONKERS! but then again, i was an English major too ;) sure, i throw down on some grammatical errors on the daily....but my JOB isn't to get things like that right on a consistent basis! movie writers are getting paid way more than i am...so they'd best be getting it right or it is our duty to call them out on it.

Barbaloot said...

That would bug me, too. And for the record, I totally know what an anachronism is:)

Emmy said...

Yes, I am so far from an English major. But I too am a dork as I like spread sheets and know how to do techy/computer stuff

Gina said...

That's so annoying.
I don't watch a lot of TV (little kids in the house, you know how it is!) so I don't know what movie/trailer you're referring to, but now I'm intrigued.
It seems to me like this happens A LOT in movies. Frankly, it's just a sign of lazy writing. They know what they want to say, and they can't think of a way to translate it to fit the scene, so they just plop the words down. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Valerie said...

I'm a dork too and I like dorks. :) I'm not even an English major (although I was for one whole semester) and I know what an anachronism is. I don't even know the movie you're talking about, but I'm sure it would bug me too.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.