March 29, 2011

Source of Sustenance

I was reading blogs, which  I don't have the luxury of doing as much as I would like to.  I have a confession: I have favorites. And while I will not be so bold as to reveal them to you, I will tell you that when I see their name  pop up in my reader, I must click it immediately.  Well, on this day, I read three or four posts offering a glimpse into the depths of the author's soul.  None were about the same topic, but all can be put under the heading of motherhood.

I've been thinking about it lately. Particularly after spending a weekend with my sisters-in-law, bearing our souls to one another, sharing our darkest doubts and heartaches and trials with each other.  Things which one does not share in the light of day, but in front of the fire place, when the rest of the world is sleeping.

And one thing keeps invading my brain.  A quote from Marjorie Pay Hinckley:
We need each other. Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young, and hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old...We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other. These friendships are a necessary source of sustenance. 
And all of a sudden the truth of these words is overwhelming.  And breathtaking all at once.  I read the words of these women, these bloggers who I count among my friends, and am reminded that we do need each other.  Even just to offer words of comfort, reassurance and even just a simple: "Me too."  And I can't close the page without leaving my love for them.  Because even though they might need me, I need them just as much.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

That is a beautiful quote and so, so true. I read one such post today myself. Love that girl. Love you, too.

heather said...

love you rachel!

Barbaloot said...

Sister Hinckley was so inspired! I need to remember that quote when I feel like blocking the world out and instead focus on "needing" people.

Heidi said...

Amen.

Melanie Jacobson said...

The "me, too" thing is sometimes the only thing that can get me through a rough patch.

just call me jo said...

You'll never know...

That Girl said...

... me too!

Mom and Dad said...

I SO agree, Rachel. Yours are more than one of my favorites and you may never know how many times I have gone back to and re read your posted letter to me. I needed that. Thanks. Love you!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.