April 26, 2011

Good or Bad?

Sometimes I am really surprised at different people's reactions to my children.  Because I get all kinds.

I have four of them, ranging from  age 2 to 8.  I think, that for the most part, they are pretty good kids. Yes, one will have the occasional tantrum in the grocery store or, heaven forbid, the library, but for the most part.  So, yesterday we went downtown to Salt Lake. We were there to check out the new (and free, I might add) children's exhibit at the Church History Museum.  We walked in the front door and stopped at the front desk to get directions to the exhibit.  I was with a good friend and neither one of us had any intention on walking through the entire museum to find it.

While we were talking to one of the gentleman at the front desk, the other gentlemen proceeded to berate our four year old boys for being, well, boys.  They weren't yelling, they weren't even really running.  Just doing the the little boy "if you poke me, I'm going to poke you back" thing.  I separated them and we moved  on.  Luckily, the children's exhibit catered to, well, children,  there was much running and playing and no on was rebuked.

From there, we headed to the Conference Center. My girls were really excited to see where Conference actually happens.  The first thing our tour guide told us was that being in the Conference Center was kind of like being in church and so we needed to act just like we would at church. (Which isn't saying much because it isn't uncommon for my kids to go booking it down the church hallways. . . )  Not five minutes later, while I was doing my best to keep the four year old boys from splashing in the nearby fountain, a grandmotherly lady approached our group and praised all the children for being so good. To the point where she emotionally commented that she had never seen a group of kids be so reverent there before.

Honestly, I was flattered and a bit confused.  Maybe she missed the boys splashing in the fountain and my two year old growling from the stroller because there was a cool echo.  But, you know.  Better than being rebuked!
Photobucket

7 comments:

just call me jo said...

Or it could be the older lady was deaf and senile and didn't know what the heck was going on. (I kid. Really, I kid!) It's hard being a 4 year old boy and reverent. It's like a dichotomy. I applaud you for taking little ones anywhere. I nearly collapse in flop sweat any time we take the twins any where. (Do you possibly remember my Christmastime trip to the Mesa temple grounds where I think I shouted the ever-evil f word. Maybe...)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Oh ya.... I know the feeling. :D

Erin said...

It sounds like the man was having a rough day and your kids happened to be in the way when he lost it. Sheesh. I'm sorry that happened. We do the best we can with our kids and unfortunately we can't control what other people around us say (or see or how they react, etc.)

Melissa Bastow said...

Yeah, it's funny that within 2 minutes my kids can get totally opposite reactions from people out in public. Same thing happens when we visit family.....

Melissa Bastow said...

ooops, I was signed in as Green Jello.....oh well - you know it's me.

Rochelle Brunson said...

This is seriously why we never go anywhere. It feels like work making kids be quiet and good and it stresses me out!

Emmy said...

And notice it was a lady vs a man... She must remember what it was like to be a mom. And moments like the later are great

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.