May 5, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Baby Wipes

I haven't done one of these in a long time, but I had to make baby wipes today and thought that would be a great thrifty thursday post.  So, without further ado:

Homemade Baby Wipes

Ingredients:
Paper towel roll (preferably select a size bounty,  generic brands aren't as durable)

Coconut oil
baby wash/shampoo
water
plastic food containers
essential oil (optional)
aloe vera (optional)
vitamin E  (optional)

Step one: Cut the paper towel roll in half.  This is great exercise for those Relief Society arms.  If possible, use and un-serrated knife. It is easier and makes much less mess.  

Step 2: Gather ingredients.  Okay, so there is some wiggle room in here.  You need oil and soap and water. My oil of choice is coconut.  It's great for your skin and I really like the way it smells.  You could also, just as easily use baby oil.  
My soap of choice is the one I found at Sunflower Market the day I was buying stuff to make this.  For those naysayers who say that making wipes isn't any cheaper because you have to buy all the ingredients, I want you to take a close look at that bottle of soap.(Just kidding. You can't see it in the picture.)  I have been making wipes for over a year now. That bottle is still over half way full. A little goes a  long way.
Everything else is optional. I like the way the lemon oil smells, so I throw some of that in. My boys have really sensitive skin and are both prone to excema, so I throw in some aloe and vitamin E.  Neither are necessary. 
Step 3: Melt the coconut oil. For each container of wipes I use 2 tbsp. of coconut oil. And the melting point for coconut oil is like 78 degrees, so it melts really fast, even over low. 
Step 4: Measure the water. For each container, you want two cups of pretty warm water.  That keeps the oil from solidifying until after the paper towels go in. 
Step 5: Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.  Pour the melted oil in,  between 3-6 drops of essential oil (depending on which you choose. Lemon= more, Lavender=less), a squirt or two of baby wash and maybe half a teaspoon of aloe. 
Optional Step: If you use the vitamin E, carefully stab a gel tab with a knife and then squeeze the contents out over the container.  I usually use 2 gel tabs per container. 


Step 6: Place paper towel half into container. I know. It looks like it won't fit. You are going to make it fit. Slowly (that is important) press the top of the paper towels down into the container.  Put the lid over the stop and press until it goes all the way down.  Snap the lid on. 
Step 7: Repeat with second container and flip both of them. Let them sit and soak for 5 minutes or so. During which time, you can put away the ingredients, or remove the half eaten sandwich from your laptop. 
Step 8: Carefully pull the cardboard tube out of the center of the paper towels.  Discard. 
Step 9: Find the corner of the center wipe and pull it up.  And next time you smell something stinky, it's already up and waiting for you!  

And honestly, I can make one batch (2 containers) last for a month.  But I only have one in diapers.  One piece of advice: Do not keep these wipes in a sunny window.  They have been known to mold. But that has only ever happened once in the middle of the summer in my boys sauna for a room.  





4 comments:

Melissa Bastow said...

That's really cool. I've never made wipes before - but mostly because I'm super lazy. I think I just might try it though.

heather said...

I remember you mentioning this when we were talking the other day, only I was distracted & only half heard it until we hung up, then I was like, She makes her own wipes!? And I considered calling you back to ask about it & then decided I'd ask next time I called you, but here it is! You read my mind. (MFEO)

Anyway... How much money does this save you? I have most all of those ingredients right now. I'm curious.

And... Do you clean with 'em?

SpencernAmy said...

Love it! Almost makes me want another baby. I will be sharing this recipe with friends, though. I especially liked the part about the half-eaten sandwich . . . that still happens here, too.

Love you!

Itsmebutterfly6! said...

This is an awesome idea .... I m a first time mom n looking for such things .... super !!!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.