June 20, 2011

Rachel and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

My Father's Day was pretty awful.  Everyone feel sorry for my husband.

It started a few minutes before 7 when my two year old climbed in bed with me. He had just spent his first night in his big boy bed.   Turned out pretty good, when first call is at 7.  He left after a few minutes and both boys came back about 20 minutes later.  I rolled out of bed, resigned to make breakfast.

We headed up the stairs, pulled out some cereal and Eden walked into the kitchen and immediately threw up.  She had been fighting off the stomach flu and we thought that she was past it, but we were wrong.  Luckily, she ran to the bathroom so the kitchen cleanup was minimal.  She spent the morning on the couch, disappointed  She was so sure she would be well enough to make it to church today.

I headed downstairs to take a shower once everyone was finished with their breakfast.  I got out my clothes, put them in the bathroom and walked around the bed to grab something off my nightstand.  And stepped in a puddle. Of water.  In my bedroom.

Let me just interject something here. Our room flooded over memorial day.  We had to rip out drywall, insulation, carpet padding and baseboard because once we started cleaning it up we realized there was a slow leak behind the wall. Which meant everything was covered in mold.  Our handyman found the leak, fixed it (or so we/he thought) and put the room back together.  We put the finishing touches on it Saturday.  I went to bed Saturday night grateful for the order in my room after living for 2 weeks in a huge mess.

Back to Sunday morning, I ran and gathered up all of my towels and started soaking up the water.  I got as much as I could, threw the towels in the wash and hopped in the shower.  When I got out, it was worse.  I found more towels, repeated the process and my husband called our handyman.

After getting as much water out of the floor as I could, I went around the backyard to where he had fixed the leak, and sure enough, sheets of water were coming down the siding right directly on top of it.  I did the best I could to cover the area with garbage bags and duct tape.  Did you know it is really hard to get duct tape to stick to anything wet? And that siding is not magnetic?  I'm pretty sure those garbage bags are being held up by sheer willpower.

I then ran to Home Depot, rented a carpet cleaner and proceeded to pull 3 gallons of water out of the carpet every two hours or so.  Blessedly, it FINALLY stopped raining and now, all we have to do is find out where the leak REALLY is, fix it and get the carpet to dry.

Pray for us.

No.  Seriously.
Photobucket

5 comments:

just call me jo said...

You win the bad day contest! You flood, throw up, etc., beats my boiling eyes. I hate those kinds of days...Tomorrow will be better, I trust. Hang in there, girl.

Wonder Woman said...

You had a flood, too? Ugh. I definitely feel for you. We are still getting things put back together. Is it something you can make an insurance claim about? Even with a high deductible, getting that check was a huge help.

Good luck. I will pray for you.

SpencernAmy said...

Not fun! Prayers coming your way. Hope we get to see you for Independence day!

Lourie said...

Okay stomach flu...you are not wanted here or there. My son had it last weekend and my little middle had it this weekend. What the heck!? After a week you would think it would be safe!

Yeesh! Leaks! Poof! Be gone!

Father's Day do-over please. I hope your week is better than your Sunday was.

Jillybean said...

That really stinks! Sorry to hear about your yucky day.
I hate water damage. And mold.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.