August 22, 2011

Attitude Adjustment


In the last couple of months I have found myself becoming more and more cynical.  I was getting frustrated with some of the situations in our ward. It seemed like only a few were carrying the load for everyone else.  And nobody seemed to care much.   I whined and complained and moaned and groaned.  Every Sunday it seemed there was yet another hurdle to jump over.  And they just kept getting higher.

Yesterday I went to church with that attitude. And as the Lord so often does, opened my eyes a bit to notice that maybe, just maybe I wasn't giving enough credit where credit is due.

Our primary has it's problems, like I'm sure every primary does. Although, I wouldn't really define them as problems.  More like exceptions.  We have anxiety issues, learning disabilities, and autism at both ends of the spectrum, among our 20 or so kids.  Which might seem a daunting task. But yesterday changed my attitude.

I watched as a leader and member of the bishopric helped a little boy have a turn, even though his anxiety prevents him from getting out of his seat or really, participating at all in such a crowded setting. I watched as a little boy with autism so severe that it is all he can do to sit still or be quiet, be praised by the rest of his class for being so reverent.  I watched as teachers and leaders did everything in their power to help their students learn and feel loved.  And I realized that all of my concerns, all of my cynicism doesn't really matter.  These children feel loved every Sunday that they come because of the amazing teachers and leaders in our primary. And I can complain and whine about the details all I want to, but really, that's not what matters most.  It is that we love these children like the Lord would love them.  
Photobucket

4 comments:

just call me jo said...

I'm so happy for you. I wish my attitude would reverse itself. I'm struggling with everything. I know our Heavenly Father will provide help. I wish I'd listen when he doesn. Sounds as if your primary is a nice place to be. Love will do that.

Emmy said...

Very good reminder that can be applied to life in general

Melanie Jacobson said...

I don't know if you've heard about this book or not, but I've been seeing it around a lot lately. It might be worth looking into. It just came out and it's called (dis)Abilities in the Gospel. Let me go find a link . . .

http://www.amazon.com/dis-Abilities-Gospel-People-Special/dp/1599558203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314141055&sr=8-1

I haven't read it but I think it's written pretty much for your situation and I hear good things.

Liesl said...

I love this Rachel. This is so beautiful. And that's all I have to say.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.