August 18, 2011

What the. . .

image source

So, I've been getting Bountiful Baskets on a regular basis for the past few months.  It's  a food co-op where you order your basket at the beginning of the week and then go pick it up on Saturday at a school or a business, or where ever your local spot has been designated.  It makes getting fresh produce much, much cheaper.

However, there is one small problem. You don't get to pick what is in your basket.  As my favorite preschool teacher would say, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit"  And for the most part that hasn't been a problem.  We occasionally get mushrooms or asparagus that I pass on to my parents, but other than that we have been pretty lucky.   There are a few notable exceptions.  The kind of exceptions where I had to go home and search the internet for a picture of what I got.  And after I discover that it is a daikon radish or a Jerusalem artichoke I then go searching for recipes on how to use them.

Sometimes those recipes turn out great. We had Swiss chard cooked with bacon, which was delicious, but I got to be honest: I have let a few things go bad.  Because when you search the internet for recipes on how to use a daikon radish and the only thing that comes up is how to pickle them, well, sometimes you just have to pass.


Photobucket

5 comments:

heather said...

I've been meaning to look for a Bountiful Baskets in my area. Hmm...

Kristina P. said...

I looked them up, but it seems like they don't provide baskets after summer? I did find another local co-op so I might try that.

Lara said...

Funny. I don't even do a co-op, and buy the produce that I know what to do with and half the time I let it go rotten. It's a definitely problem.

Liesl said...

Ha ha! I did BB one time in winter and it just wasn't my thing. It may have been the season, but I just couldn't figure out how to use even half of the stuff they gave me. I guess I'm picky about my produce.

Erin said...

Our grocery store started a program two months ago to compete with BB: every Saturday, from 7-11 AM, if you spend $15.00 in produce, you get a $5.00 gift cert to purchase any groceries you want. I love it!

(Ironically, I am getting BB this Saturday because I am excited about the plums.)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.