September 15, 2011

Easier than you think: Make Laundry Detergent!


Have you ever wondered if it was possible to make your own laundry soap?  And yes. It is cheaper. I did the math once, but I didn't write it down and I don't have a head for numbers. Next time I go to the store, I will do it again.  This recipe comes from my former next door neighbor, who we still miss.  (Hi, Johanna!)

What you need: 
DIY Laundry detergent
1 bar of Zote Soap or Fels Naptha cut into thirds (for easier shredding)


homemade laundry soap ingredients

3 cups Baking Soda 

DIY laundry soap
3 cups Washing Soda 
homemade laundry soap ingredients
3 cups Borax 
(all of these should be available in the laundry detergent aisle)

homemade laundry detergent
Mix the baking soda, washing soda and borax together in a large bowl. 

DIY laundry soap ingredients

Add the grated zote soap or Fels Naptha to the mixture and stir. 
(I use my food processor grating blade for that.)

homemade laundry soap
Throw the whole thing (in batches) into your food processor or blender.  Mix for a minute or so.  If you are using a blender, only use a little at a time so that you don't burn the motor out.  

Once it's all mixed, find an appropriate sized container for storage. I realized that one large batch fits Perfectly in an oatmeal container.  If you like fancy, you can store it in  a pretty glass jar.  Just add one tablespoon to each load of laundry.  It lasts forever.  I do at least 8 loads of laundry a week and it takes me about 4-5 months to go through one batch. 

Awesome. 



6 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

Wow. I am going to have to try that. And with all the baking soda, I imagine there are no odors left, which is a real problem with my laundry.

traskrocks said...

does it clean well?? get your whites white??

Michelle 2021 said...

I'm thinking about cloth diapering, any thoughts on if this mixture would be good for washing the cloth? It sounds a lot like what the saleslady was describing to me, what types of detergent I should look for to care for them.

april b said...

Seriously? Only a TABLESPOON per load?! Awesome!

Wonder Woman said...

I'm with Traskrocks--does it clean well enough?

wendy said...

wow, who would have thought
would be good to know, and have the recipe
for food storage needs eh

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.