September 28, 2011

Lunch Bunch: Graduation Speech

Do you remember that song? Always wear sunscreen?  That hit the radio a month or two before I graduated high school.  Which I thought was particularly  appropriate. I liked it too. It had plenty of wisdom that a 17 year old girl needed to hear:
"Don't read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly."
"You are not as fat as you think you are."

And plenty of advice that a 29 year old girl needs to remember:
"Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults."
"Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either."
"Don't expect anyone else to support you.  Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when either one might run out."


As for me, if I had to get up in front of a class of 18 year olds, what would I say?
*Love.  Don't be afraid of it. You will get hurt.  I guarantee it, but it will be worth it.
*Keep learning no matter what.  Even if you don't think you have time.
*Don't get so busy that you don't have time to stand out side in a rainstorm.  In the sun.  In the mountains.
*Remember to breathe.

What about you?  What would you say?
Play along with us at Blossoming Bloggers.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I would say, "Don't let classes get in the way of your college experience." :)

Also, I don't know what song you're referring, but I remember the one by Vitamin C, "as we go on, we'll remember, all the times we shared together..." I hate that I feel nostalgic thinking of that.

wendy said...

hmmmm....good question.
Actually, as we mature, I am sure we'd have lots of things to add to that "list" of what to do or what to avoid.

Remember nothing on this earth lasts forever, and we don't have forever to get things done or get around to things, so, take care of at least ONE thing each day, or tell at least ONE person you love them.
it kinda takes forever to figure these things out eh.

(and, I agree, wear sunscreen)

Shell said...

Oh, I loved when that came out. It was just before I graduated, too. Must go find it on youtube now.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.