January 16, 2012

Um, maybe help?

So, I read and COMMENTED on blogs tonight.  I haven't done that in a long time. It felt good.

I'm kind of kicking myself. I think that I have done it again: committed to too much.  I started freelance blogging. Did I tell you that?   A few months ago.  So far, so good.  In a way, it's fun. It's so amazing to be validated.  That this hobby of mine?  Yeah, it's actually worth something. It's also kind of more work than I was looking for.

Did you know I make lots of stuff from scratch? Partly for the whole health consciousness benefits, mostly to save money.  And while it doesn't take a lot of time, it takes time.

And I started a book.  I hesitate to write that.  I have started, literally, dozens of books over the past 10 years.  And in the last year I have written  80 pages.  So, at this point, I'm pretty committed. But don't ask me to read it. Not yet. Maybe never.  But that takes time, too.

And I'm still teaching my girls dance. And I'm cub scout leader.  And I get called to substitute in primary more often than not.

That "good, better, best" talk has been floating around in my head.  But the problem is, I'm having a really hard time classifying.  How do you do it?

No. Really, I'm asking.  How?  Do you schedule your life down to the minute?  Do you do the bare minimum?  Do you sleep?  I really want to know.  Because, well, I could really use some advice right now.

And P.S.  You can tack pink eye on to Tayleigh's list of afflictions.  No school for her again tomorrow.  This chick is going to fail second grade, I swear.
Photobucket

8 comments:

peter said...

This is a kindle book on amazon teaching you how to make money with a wordpress blog.
make money blogging

Barbaloot said...

Yikes---sounds like a lot of stuff! Since I can't even handle my own life right now, and I'm not that busy, I can't help. But I can wish you good luck!!

Kristina P. said...

You are a rock star!

Mother Goose said...

I'm trying to figure that out too. I use to never schedule stuff, just enjoy being with teh kids. But stuff is really piling up around the house. So I've tried to make a schedule for myself. But then I feel really guilty if I don't stick to the schedule and get everything done. I need to find a happy medium. I'll let you know if I ever do! Love ya!

Melissa Bastow said...

I have scheduled and rescheduled and then rescheduled my life, but ultimately just end up not sleeping. Ever. Because there are only so many hours in the day. (Which hardly seems fair.)

Good luck with everything.

Wonder Woman said...

I am not a schedule person. I just kind of flit from one thing to the next. Luckily, my calling isn't too time-consuming, and the extra thing that takes a lot of my time is already scheduled -- teaching piano.

Can you make two meals at once and freeze one? Say no to substituting? (Easier said than done; I know.)

Something that works for me at times is strapping on a pair of tennis shoes by 9 am and just DOING IT. Whatever it is. Dinner in the crock pot, dishes, load of laundry, vacuuming, whatever. For some reason, the shoes help me to keep moving. (I know none of those things were on your list, but if you're like me, you're probably running out of time for the extras because you still have to do all the regulars.)

Good luck, Rachel. Seriously. Don't be afraid to pray and ask for some guidance, either.

Camryn said...

You know--when I look at the grand scope of things that need to get done--I get overwhelmed. I seriously decided to simplify by just taking it one day at a time. I follow my calendar, of course, but each day I wake, I tackle the things most pressing. If the laundry is backed up to high heaven, I focus on that--just that day. The next day may be my kitchen--while neglecting something else--but it's getting done where I can manage.

For me, everything CAN'T get done. It's impossible to keep up. And trying to win a race with high expectations just leaves me feeling terrible about myself because I'm focused on what I DIDN'T do...when it should be the other way around.

Good Luck!

Liesl Shurtliff said...

I had to laugh. If I had the answer to this, then well, I wouldn't have a worry in the world.

But, I do feel pretty balanced when it comes to my family and my career (which is writing.) And the only reason I can do the writing is because I got my family on board with it. They know it means something to me and they sacrifice for it. Not too much. I always pull back when it starts to be a strain, but we have pretty set times where everyone knows that mom is writing and we don't bug mom while she's writing. This really helps.

And then when I'm not writing, all my focus is on the family, feeding them well, tutoring, teaching, playing, etc.

And I guess the biggest question you have to ask yourself is, what do you really want to do? Do you want to blog? Write a book? What are you burning to do? Do your daily activities reflect that desire?

Cut out the distractions. Twitter, FB, Blogs...they are fun and I do them, but very lightly, like once a week. No TV. No more little crafts and home decor projects. (Sorry, but they are time suckers. Forget what your house looks like.)

Alright, I'm sounding like a Nazi here. Good luck. You can do it!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.