Thanks to a giveaway from Green Jello with Carrots, I got to spend the weekend at the Story@Home conference in Salt Lake City. I also got to spend most of that time with Melissa and WonderWoman, and it was a BLAST. I just love those girls. Anyway, I thought I would share a few things with you that I thought were totally worthwhile.
The first day of the conference Rustin Banks of Blog Frog spoke. I'm going to be honest, I wasn't that excited about it because the last time I heard him speak it seemed like all it was, was a big plug for BlogFrog. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised and probably took more notes during his presentation than I did the entire rest of the conference. He gave us 10 things you need to "Write our own story," whether that story involves starting your own business, starting a new blog, writing a book, whatever. And I thought I would share them with you.
1. Ability to recognize opportunity: It might look like a problem to be solved, it might look like a social injustice, but keep your eyes open!
2. Embrace randomness: The more random opportunites you take, the greater your chance for success.
3. Fire the Naysayers. Need I say more?
4. Willingness to be uncomfortable: Get outside your comfort zone.
5. FOCUS. (That is all caps for my benefit) Pick the best idea and ride it out.
6. Tolerance for Risk: What you are scared if is 10 times worse than reality
7. Willingness to be wrong: Throw your pride away!
8:Willingness to change course: Pivot- Keep one foot centered and change direction around that focus.
9. Build a life "board of advisors." I've got a couple of spots open. Any volunteers? :)
10. Willing to Sacrifice: How bad do you want it? What are you willing to give up for it?
It made me want to take off running! And who knows, maybe I will!