June 11, 2012

Adventures in Babysitting

I've started leaving the kids alone with my oldest for short periods of time.  Times when I need to drop something off somewhere in the neighborhood, or run to the store for one forgotten item.  I leave my cell phone with my daughter instructing her to use it to call Daddy or Grandma if there is a problem.

She had never had to use it.  Until last week.

It was 8:30, everyone was in bed (or supposed to be) and I had to run and pick something up from the store necessary for the next day.  Kmart is within walking distance, and driving is almost ridiculous, but I wanted to be as quick as possible, so I drove.  As I walked inside, I saw a shelf sitting in the middle of the aisle, full of clearance food.  Nobody buys food at Kmart, and so more often than not, the food sits there until it expires. And so, a week or two before the expiration date,  they mark it down super low to get rid of it.  So, I stocked up on $0.25 baking powder, $0.30 jello and $0.75 marshmallows before running to grab my intended purchase.  By the time I got back to the check out stand, (notice how that's not plural)  the line was huge. The store was closing, and everyone was trying to get out of there.

Well, I waited and waited and finally it was my turn.  Only, all of my clearance items wouldn't scan.  The checker called over a manager, thought that the problem was solved, but nope. She had to call over someone else.  After 10 minutes, and 20 more people in line behind me, they opened up another checkstand. When they FINALLY finished checking me out, I ran out to the car and sped home. I had been gone 30 minutes, rather than the intended 10.

I pulled in the driveway and saw my husband's car.  I wondered if volleyball was over, or if he had been summoned. Sure enough, he came down the stairs, holding a tied plastic grocery bag and uttered the dreaded words:

"Eric pooped his pants."

And Eden, my amazing Eden, called her dad before she realized the extent of the accident. He told her to change Eric's clothes and he would be right home. By the time he arrived, Eden had finished wiping up the mess and had clean clothes on Eric.

And the best big sister award goes to: EDEN!   And her prize?  A huge bag of M&M's.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I'm glad I am the youngest and never had to have that responsibility:)

Wonder Woman said...

That is incredible. You have got one heck of a girl on your hands. She's gonna be a great babysitter and momma (some day.)

Also -- what I wouldn't give to have my oldest as a girl.....

Mother Goose said...

What a big girl!

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

Life changed the day my oldest was big enough to babysit. Hallelujah!

Lara said...

Bria is starting to babysit more and more, too. And I am amazed at her level of responsibility.

It feels good, doesn't it? And obviously, you've raised her well. Pat yourself on the back!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.