June 4, 2012

How do you do it?

creating joy, thriving motherhood, strangers questions


Mother's out there with a handful of children will relate: How do you do it all?

I get it a lot.  People on the street, in the grocery store.  Friends on social media.  Neighbors.  Not because I'm some amazing person, simply because I have six children and my hobbies are a bit more public than some.  For a long time, I didn't know how to answer.  How do I do it all?  For a long time, I would make a sarcastic remark about the quality of my housekeeping skills.  Because they're pretty dismal.  That's not sarcasm. That's just honesty.  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized.

How do you do it?

You just do.

I remember asking my sister in law that very question after I had my first baby.  She had recently had a baby as well, only, rather than her first, he was her seventh.  I remember calling her from my bed, my baby lying next to me, around 3:00 in the afternoon.  I hadn't gotten out of bed yet.

"How do you have a baby with six other kids?  I'm barely keeping it together with one!"
I could hear the nonchalance in her voice as she answered:

"You just do."

I didn't fully understand that answer for years.  Every time I thought I couldn't handle something more, my plate got loaded a little bit higher, and I kept it together.  There were times that it was heavy, almost crushing, but I managed it, if only for a little while, until I could scrape something off.  And with each load, I got a little stronger, a little more organized and a little more wise.  This is the life that I chose and I love it.

So, the next time someone asks you "How do you do it all?"  I have a simple response for them:

You just do.

2 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

I use a similar response every time someone asks me how I deal with a child with a serious health problem and watch them go through surgery after surgery. The response is always, "What else can I do? You just do it."

Rachelle said...

oh how i needed this post. i think i need to put this on a sign somewhere in my house. thanks for sharing! loved it.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.