July 28, 2016

Try Everything

My older boys, Eric and Seth, feel like they should just know how to do something. There should be no practicing involved, they should be perfect on the first try.  Which is why it took so long for either of them to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels, why neither one of them can tie their shoes, and why Eric still insists that he doesn't know how to read. (He does.  I promise.)

So, while sitting in a dark movie theater watching Zootopia, this song punched me in the gut and I knew that it needed to be our family's new anthem.

I messed up tonight, I lost another fight
I still mess up but I'll just start againI keep falling down, I keep on hitting the groundI always get up now to see what's next
I knew that this needed to be drilled into their little heads. And not just my boys, but my girls too.  All of my children seem a little too prone to giving up.  When things get hard, they don't want to work harder to make it happen. 
'Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail
I know that listening to a song isn't going to create some magical reaction.  I know that watching Zootopia isn't going to solve all of their problems.  But maybe, just maybe, coupled with my encouragement, it will give them a little push in the right direction. 
I'll keep on making those new mistakes
I'll keep on making them every day
Those new mistakes.




I won't give up, no I won't give in


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I hadn't heard it, but I think my boys need to hear it too.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.