August 4, 2016

Book Review: The Ship of Brides

Every so often I'm asked by friends or family for book recommendations, and I can never think of what I have recently read off the top of my head. So, I thought that when I read something worth recommending, I should do a quick review on the blog.  That way, I can refer people to that rather than looking like an idiot.

I read The Ship of Brides by JoJo Moyes recently while on vacation. This is a perfect vacation book.  It's not so flighty that you feel like it wasn't worth your time, but it isn't a heavy subject that you don't want to deal with while lying on the beach. The Ship of Brides offers a glimpse into what it might have been like for Australian war brides after World War II.  The war has been over for a few years and the world is just starting to find a new normal.  In order to do that, countries must find a way to reunite women who married soldiers during the war.  This particular story deals with brides traveling from Australia to their husbands waiting for them in Great Britain. This is more of an ensemble book, with several protagonists instead of one.  Ms. Moyes uses this strategy to great effect, as we have the opportunity to see through the eyes of women through all walks of life as they try to readjust to their new reality.  

The writing is very well done, and the story moves along quickly, keeping the reader entertained. I have read several other books by JoJo Moyes, and this tends to be the case through all of her books. She is a skilled writer and story teller.  If you like a good romance with a little bit of history thrown in for good measure, you'll enjoy The Ship of Brides. 

No comments:

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.