August 25, 2016

Why Harry Potter is So Amazing

I recently discovered a new podcast. Harry Potter and the Sacred Text.  And it's just bringing up my intense love of Harry Potter.  Generally, I try to keep my crazy under wraps, but I just can't anymore.
 I love Harry Potter.  For the following reasons:
1. Have you ever noticed anything about the names in Harry Potter?  JK Rowling didn't just make up funny words to name her characters.  Here's a few examples:

  • Sirius Black: Sirius is the Dog Star
  • Minerva: The Roman goddess of wisdom
  • Dumbledore: Old English for Bumblebee
  • Remus Lupin: Remus was a son of Mars, left to die along the banks of the Tiber, but saved and nursed back to health by a she-wolf.  Lupus is the Latin word for Wolf. 
  • Voldemort: Comes from a French phrase that can be interpreted as "one who flees from death." 
Right?   Right?  

Why yes.  I am a super nerd. 

2. The themes are amazing.  Tolerance. Love conquering death.  The power of friendship.  Faith in a greater purpose.  Everything you want to teach your kids in seven volumes. 

3. The writing.  THE WRITING.  My favorite line? "Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality."   Mundane finality.  After everything, after all he has done and all he has put the world through, he is just a human being like the rest of them and he has died like the rest of them.  You see now why I keep my crazy to myself?

4. The characters.  How do you read these books and not love them all? I cry for Harry, laugh with(at) Ron,  and just want to give Neville a hug.  And the twins.  And Hagrid! 

I think that's enough for one day.  Please let me know if you are a Harry Potter crazy person too.  We can chat!!




No comments:

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.