1. Have you ever noticed anything about the names in Harry Potter? JK Rowling didn't just make up funny words to name her characters. Here's a few examples:
- Sirius Black: Sirius is the Dog Star
- Minerva: The Roman goddess of wisdom
- Dumbledore: Old English for Bumblebee
- Remus Lupin: Remus was a son of Mars, left to die along the banks of the Tiber, but saved and nursed back to health by a she-wolf. Lupus is the Latin word for Wolf.
- Voldemort: Comes from a French phrase that can be interpreted as "one who flees from death."
Why yes. I am a super nerd.
2. The themes are amazing. Tolerance. Love conquering death. The power of friendship. Faith in a greater purpose. Everything you want to teach your kids in seven volumes.
3. The writing. THE WRITING. My favorite line? "Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality." Mundane finality. After everything, after all he has done and all he has put the world through, he is just a human being like the rest of them and he has died like the rest of them. You see now why I keep my crazy to myself?
4. The characters. How do you read these books and not love them all? I cry for Harry, laugh with(at) Ron, and just want to give Neville a hug. And the twins. And Hagrid!
I think that's enough for one day. Please let me know if you are a Harry Potter crazy person too. We can chat!!